Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My thoughts about class Eng 111

Even though I have been taken other classes in TCC, ENG 111 is my first class that I have attended with other American students. When I was taking ESL classes, teacher told us that usually foreign students had to drop classes or did not pass them because they were not able to understand instructor. So I was nervous that it is going to be hard for me to be on the same level with other classmates because English is not my native language; however, when I came on first class meeting my worries went away.
I can say honest that I did not like English 111 class and I do not want take Eng 112, even though I know that it will help me in a future. However, it is not because I did not like instructor or how course was built. I think Paul Gasparo did a great job: the way he made atmosphere in class comfortable for everybody be able to say what they think and have a dispute was very helpful. The assignments were interesting too; it made me put afford to write them and I think it is good. I had to think about different things that I have not thought about before. Research essay helped me to find out more about euthanasia; I had my opinion on this case before but I have never known what arguments had either side or what countries allow it. Furthermore, essay “I am because” made me think what influenced me to become person I am. I think it was very useful for me because now maybe I can change something about myself. The thing that I really liked to do was Power Point presentations. I enjoyed analyzing poster, because I have never thought about pictures on the covers of the magazines: how they made to attract people to bay it. It gave me chance to do something creative. Also, it was not hard for me because I have used this program before.
The main reason why I did not like the class is because I hate writing. I can do it when I have to write short answers on something and be straight to the point. However, when I need to write an essay, it takes me whole day to do it because I have to make it colorful and interesting for audience. However, it is not only in case of writing on English, I have the same problem when I have to do it on Russian. However, when I am writing on Russian I know grammar and punctuation rules; it is helpful because sometimes when people are reading my essays on English they cannot understand what I mean only because of my punctuation. Other problem I face all the time is that when I have to do something that I do not like I do it in the last minute, so I had to write almost all my essays in the two last weeks. I know it is not the right way to do it but I have trouble to change myself in this case.
Even though I have all this problems with writing I can say that my Eng 111 experience was positive and helpful, thanks to the Paul Gasparo.

No comments: