Monday, December 8, 2008

Gun problem in the US



Since I have moved to the US I hear all the time about gun control question; it is a major problem in the US, as I noticed. When I have read Jon Kelly’s article “Annie, get your gun” I thought that I agree and disagree with some things he wrote about.
I agree that women should not be afraid of guns because in some cases it will help them to protect their life and may be lives of their children. However, when I see a gun or touch it I do not feel comfortable at all. May be if I knew a little bit more about guns, the way it works and how to use it right without harm for myself and people around me, I would be more confident.
Furthermore, I agree with the statement “It's not the gun that kills, it's the person behind it.” I remember, I watched TV program about gun control, it explained some of the reasons why US has such a high rate of gun murders; one of them was a slavery. People in America are used to think about African Americans as about bad people, no meter what has happened, white people always blame them. That is why “white” part of America’s population wants to have right for bear arms. Also, there was made comparison between USA and Canada: even though Canada has more guns per person than the US, rate of gun murders there is much lower, almost equal to zero.
However, I think that if person has the gun it makes it easier to kill somebody. Reason been, when you have a knife you have to make personal contact, be close to a man or woman you are going to kill; but with the gun everything is much easier, you just need to pull the trigger. Also, if person has gun in a house it the first thing he or she is going to use for protection.

No comments: